Pastry + Bacon + AsparagusSunday, November 23, 2014
Holiday season is right around the corner, so I'm rolling up my sleeves to try out some appetizer recipes. The annual Friendsgiving celebration is always a great place for a recipe test run. Last year I made sweet potato cupcakes and this year I opted for a more savory bite: pastry + bacon wrapped asparagus!
Let's start off with the list of ingredients:- pastry sheets
- olive oil
- spices (sea salt, garlic powder, pepper)
* If you're feeling fancy, cue Iggy Azalea, swap out the bacon for prosciutto OR use a tasty cheese for vegetarian guests.
I like to boil the asparagus to make sure it'll be tender. Since the bottom of the stem is always harder, I also cut off the bottoms after boiling.
While boiling the asparagus, I prep the pastry dough by cutting it into thin strips with kitchen shears. (I found that the bacon was too thick so I cut it in half length wise.)
Once it is all set, let's get to wrapping!
My wrap procedure
- Secure the pastry strip at the end of the asparagus
- Layer the bacon underneath the pastry strip
- Wrap them together around the asparagus
- Secure the other end of the pastry dough
Brush or spray some olive oil on a cooking sheet before placing the wrapped asparagus. Once placed on the sheet, brush them with olive oil and sprinkle with spices.
I left them in the oven at 375 ° until the dough started to become a golden color (approximately 15 minutes).
From all of us Chicago ladies, we wish you a Happy Thanksgiving!
Click here to red this post in Spanish.